One of my favorite vegan sandwiches ever! The tempeh reuben! I woke up today crazing this sandwich. so I decided to make it for lunch. This sandwich is vegan but packs about 40 grams of Protein!Tempeh is a complete protein food that contains all the essential amino acids.It taste good too! It will please your taste buds, and fill you up whether your a meat eater, or a vegan!
1 package of organic Tempeh
1/2 teaspoon of caraway seeds
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of organic agave nectar
2 teaspoons of organic tamari soy sauce
1/2 tea spoon of sea salt
2 teaspoons of lapsang Souchong smoked black tea in a tea filter (if already in tea bags, use 4 tea bags)
1 cup of vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
2 cups of water
combine all ingredients except for tea in a small pan. bring to a boil and turn off heat. add the tea bags and let step for 10 minutes, discard the tea bags.
Take tempeh and cut into 4 square pieces, cut once length wise, and once down the middle. then stab tempeh with a fork 5-10 times to create small holes. (this helps the marinade soak into the tempeh faster.
Put marinade and tempeh into a container with a tight lid, let sit for at least 4 hours, and no more than 24 hours in a refrigerator
1/8 a cup of organic veganaise (or other vegan mayonnaise)
1 clove of organic garlic, minced
1/2 a small organic shallot, minced
1 small organic pickle minced (about 1/4 cup minced)
1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
1/2 teaspoon of organic pickle juice
1/2 a teaspoon of organic ketchup
mix all ingredients together, set aside.
1 cup organic raw sauerkraut
4 pieces of good quality organic rye bread, try getting it from a local bakery instead and buying it packaged at a store.
1/2 cup of Daiya vegan cheese (i like the pepper jack)
Vegan butter, enough to butter the top and bottom of the sandwich before grilling.
For this sandwich your going to need a Panini press!
1.Set Up and turn on your panini press
2. Remove tempeh from the marinade and place directly on the panini press, let cook until both sides are golden brown (about 5 minutes)
3. in a small pan sauté the sauerkraut just until its hot, do not over cook or you will lose allot of the living enzymes
4. Take your pieces of rye bread and butter one side of each piece, then lay down on the unbuttered side the vegan cheese, followed by the tempeh, and then followed by the sauerkraut. Put the second piece of bread on top.
5. Place sandwich in the middle of the Panini press and cook until both sides of the bread and golden brown and the cheese is melted.
6. remove the sandwich from the panini press and add the special sauce. cut down the middle and serve while hot!
There you have my famous tempeh reuben sandwich. Matisyahu loves this sandwich, so i usually make it about once a week. Let me know how yours turned out! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!